Academic Scholarships by Paso Robles Rotary Club
All net profits from the Winemakers’ Cookoff each year are deposited into the Harlow Ford Foundation Fund. From this fund, the Rotary Club of Paso Robles awards academic scholarships to Paso Robles High School seniors who are about to enter their freshman year of college or vocational school. Each year, the Club awards scholarships up to $40,000 (the amount varies depending upon the number of scholarships offered and the income from the Harlow Ford Scholarship Foundation).
Winners are selected based on these factors:
- Academic achievement in the form of high school grades, SAT scores, honors and awards, and other evidence of scholarly excellence;
- Financial need based on family income and on the financial aid package provided by the college or university;
- Participation in extracurricular activities;
- Service to the community over and above requirements for school credits;
- Good character, particularly with respect to the Rotary International’s Four Way Test:
Of the things we think, say or do:
- Is it the truth?
- Is it fair to all concerned?
- Will it build good will and better friendships?
- Will it be beneficial to all concerned?
- Scholarship applications are submitted in April.
- The applications are reviewed by a committee of past Rotary presidents, the Scholarship Chair, and a representative from Paso Robles High School.
- The committee members assess the completed applications in accord with the criteria above, select the recipients, and determine the financial consideration to be distributed that year.
- The scholarship awards are presented at the Paso Robles High School Awards Night in June.